“B” Services


Bad Checks/Non-sufficient funds

Batteries (disposal) – Batteries are accepted at the following locations: Auto Zone, Checker Auto Parts, Mack’s Auto Supply, Morcomb Diesel, Reynolds Tire Pros, Vista Recycling Inc., and Wal-Mart. Contact the City of Safford 348-3143 for more information.

Bid Information – The bid process is to help the County obtain the best product for the best price by stimulating competition.  Bids are submitted in response to an invitation to bid.  Bids are received by the Board of Supervisors by the date and time specified in the bid document.  Bids are opened and read aloud in the Board meeting on the date indicated in the bid. Bids are awarded to the lowest conforming bidder.  See Board of Supervisors Sealed Bids for a list of current bid invitations.

Billboard RegulationsBillboards are allowed as permitted uses in the C-M, M and M-X land use classifications and in an A zone with a use permit.

Bioterrorism – The Graham County Bioterrorism Program is responsible for responding to and preparing for a bioterrorism event, communicable disease outbreak, or any other type of public health emergency. Comprehensive emergency response and preparedness plans are developed and federally funded through a cooperative partnership with the U.S. Center for Disease Control (CDC) and the Arizona Department of Health Services.  Instrumental in the development of these plans is the assessment of local resources and limitations, the strengthening of collaborative relationships with agencies having similar missions, the improvement of communication systems, the education of the public, and the provision of training, all necessary to assure an effective response.

Birth Certificates – Contact Graham County Vital Records 928-428-4441 for more information or visit the Arizona Department of Health Services, Office of Vital Records.

Blood Pressure Checks -A Blood Pressure Clinic is offered every Friday morning from 9:30 am to 11:30 am on a walk-in basis.  Cards are provided for maintaining a record of serial blood pressure readings.  Go to the Graham County Health Department for more information.

Board of Adjustment and Appeals – There is created, as provided by A.R.S. 11-807, a Board of Adjustment for the unincorporated area of Graham County.  The Board of Adjustment shall be composed of five (5) members, each of whom shall be a resident and taxpayer of the unincorporated area of Graham County.  Contact the Graham County Planning and Zoning Department for more information or review 5.7 Board of Adjustment and Appeals in the Graham County Planning & Zoning Ordinance.

Board of Equalization – If the property owner is dissatisfied with the Assessor’s decision on the appeal, for property located in a county with population less than 500,000, a further appeal may be filed with the County Board of Equalization.  That board consists of the County Board of Supervisors sitting as a Board of Equalization.

Building Codes – The Graham County building code has the following purposes: Regulate the site preparation and construction, alteration, moving, demolition, repair, use and occupancy of buildings, structures and building service equipment within the jurisdiction; Provide for issuance of permits and collection of fees; Provide for a building code advisory board; and Provide for penalties for violation of building codes.  5.14 Building Codes.

Building Permits – Graham County Planning & Zoning Ordinance Section 5.6.2 states:  It shall be unlawful to erect, construct, reconstruct, alter, place, or use any building within a Land Use District covered by the ordinance without first obtaining a Building Permit or appropriate Land Use designation from the Planning and Zoning Department.  The application for a Building Permit is available here or at the Graham County Planning and Zoning office in the General Services Building at 921 W. Thatcher Blvd., Safford, AZ 85546 or by calling (928) 428-0410.

Building Rentals – The Graham County Regional Park Complex offers outdoor rentals and building rentals for parties, weddings, meetings, etc.  Rentals include:  Gazebo, ramadas, ball fields, Agriculture Building, Common Sense Building, tables and chairs.

Building Values – Are set according to a nationwide survey done by the IBC 2003.  A schedule of valuation is available in the Planning & Zoning Ordinance Section 5.18.1.

Burn Permits – Property owners are required to obtain permits from the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ) for the purpose of conducting open burning.  Copies of Open Burning permit applications and permit requirements are available from the Health Dept., however the completed applications must be forwarded to ADEQ for approval.  Open burning permits are typically issued for the purpose of weed abatement in rural areas of the County, but will not be issued for the burning of garbage or other prohibited materials. Also, permits may not be issued for properties less than one acre in size, or within subdivisions or the city limits of Safford, Pima or Thatcher (those towns or ADEQ are responsible for issuing burn permits within their jurisdiction).  All open burning must be conducted no closer than fifty feet to the nearest structure, during the hours of the day that are allowed by state regulation, and water or other resources must be available to quickly extinguish the fire if necessary.

Business Licensing – Graham County does not require a business license.  You may find information on business licensing from the Arizona Department of Revenue or contact the City of Safford at 928-348-3100 if you will conduct business within city limits.