Marriage Licenses

CofCDeptID1Obtaining a Marriage License

In order to be legally joined in marriage in the State of Arizona, a couple must first obtain a marriage license from the Office of the Superior Court Clerk in one of the 15 counties across Arizona. Once a marriage license is obtained, it serves as a legal license anywhere in the state of Arizona for 12 months from the date of issuance. The officiator must be legally authorized to perform marriages in the state of Arizona. The following is a list of important information regarding the marriage license application process in Graham County.

  • In Graham County, marriage licenses are obtained from the office of the Clerk of the Superior Court, located on the main floor of the Graham County Courthouse, at 800 Main Street, Safford, Arizona. Regular business hours are: Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. You can call for assistance at: (928) 428-3100.
  • The application fee for a marriage license is $76. This may be paid in the form of cash, credit card, debit card, or money order addressed to the Clerk of the Superior Court. Payment is due at the time of application.
  • Individuals must be 18 years of age in order to apply for a marriage license by their own consent. An individual in the ages of 16 and 17 may receive a marriage license with the written consent of one of their parents on the license application. An individual 15 years or less of age must have both parents’ written consent and court approval in order to be issued a marriage license.
  • Both parties need to be present when applying for a marriage license.
  • There is no waiting period or blood test required. The marriage license will be issued the day of application.
  • The detachable portion of the license which is completed and signed by the marriage officiator is to be returned to the Clerk’s Office for recording purposes at:  Graham County Clerk, 800 Main Street, Safford, AZ 85546
  • If the individuals desire for a judge to officiate over the marriage ceremony, they must inquire of the courts on their own. The Clerk of the Court does not schedule marriage ceremonies for the courts.  Here is a list of names of the individuals who perform wedding ceremonies:
    • Shane Jones (928) 322-1188
    • Carolyn Stacey (928) 651-4321
    • Richard Schermer (928) 507-1285
    • Judge Wyatt Palmer JP#2 (928) 485-2771
    • Cassondra Schechter (928) 792-7409
    • Angelina Evans (928) 651-3228
    • Billie Capps (928) 322-3699
    • Marisella Pennington (928) 965-0717

If you are ordained to perform wedding ceremonies and would like to have your named added to our list, please contact the Clerk’s office at (928) 428-3100.

To request a copy of a marriage license you will need to contact the Office of the Superior Court Clerk at (928) 428-3100.  You should be prepared with names and dates if possible.  Marriage records go back as far as the 1880’s.