The Senior Property Valuation Protection Option (Senior Freeze)
The Senior Valuation Protection Option freezes the Limited Property Value of eligible residential homeowners who are 65 years of age or older if they meet specific qualifications and apply with the County Assessor. The valuation freeze is for three years and may be renewed at the end of the third year.
Requirements for Applicant
All information on the application will be verified by the Assessor's Office.
- All sources of income from all owners, including taxable and non-taxable monies, cannot exceed *$37,008 for single owner or *$46,260 for two or more owners.
- The applicant must be a minimum age of 65 at the time the application is filed.
- The applicant's name must be on title of property and owned the home for at least two (2) years prior to filing the application.
- Properties on more than ten (10) acres do not qualify for this program.
- The Property must be the primary residence of the applicant for a minimum of two (2) years. An applicant can only have one (1) primary residence. Rentals, duplexes, apartments, mixed use properties do not qualify for this program. A primary residence is defined as "the owner's one and only main residence where the owner intends to reside."
Application must be filed with the Assessor's office by September 1st.
Important to Note
- Any changes / additions to the property such as new construction or demolitions will result in the removal of the freeze.
- Applicants must renew application every three years.
- Only the Limited Property Value will be frozen. Taxes will not be frozen - Property taxes will continue to be levied at the same rate as all other properties in the taxing district. Per Article 9, Section 18, Paragraph 7 in the Arizona Constitution.
Document Copies Required With Application
- Application-Senior Property Valuation Protection Option Application: form (DOR 82104). This form is fillable and printable.
- Proof of all gross income from all owners for 2016, 2017 and 2018 - Copies of Statements regarding all interest, dividends, social security, retirements, pensions, wages, salaries, annuities, alimony, disability, unemployment or public benefit statements and copies of Federal Income Tax Returns with all schedules. If you did not file income tax returns for the years requested, you may contact our office to discuss alternative acceptable income verification documents.
- Proof of eligibility / residency-One of the following: A birth certificate, driver's license, state issued ID card or passport.
We are happy to answer any questions you have or provide you with additional assistance. Contact us today!