Southeast Arizona Teachers' Academy
June 3-6, 2019
at Eastern Arizona College
- Keynote speaker: Patti Wren
- Registration is now closed (5/29/19)
May 29, 2019
Dear Southeast Arizona Teachers’ Academy Participant,
I am so glad you registered to attend the Southeast Arizona Teachers’ Academy (SEATA) during the week of June 3-6, 2019. The purpose of this letter is to make sure you know where to go, and what to expect on the first day. We have a very ambitious schedule, and in order to rotate our groups throughout the planned sessions, we are asking you to review this schedule and plan accordingly.
Monday June 3rd: Please arrive at the Eastern Arizona College Gherald L. Hoopes Activity Center (GHAC) at 1020 N. College Ave. in Thatcher, AZ by 8:00 a.m. (See the maps and directions by visiting http://www.eac.edu/About_EAC/Maps_and_Directions/thatchermap.shtm
Please park in the parking lot on the southwest side of the building, off of Stadium Ave. or along the east side on College Ave. You can also park in the new lot on College Ave. (east side) where they tore down the houses.
Along with a notebook and bag, we will provide you with a printed schedule of your session choices when you check in. When you arrive, you will be directed to an A-L or M-Z line to pick up your name badge, schedule and certificate. Keep track of your certificate! You will sign-in at the beginning of each session. After each session, the presenter will give you a mailing label to place on your certificate. The only back-up we will have if the certificate is lost is the sign-in sheet in each session. Be sure to sign in!
After checking in, please take a seat in the Lee Little Theater which is located just off the lobby. At 8:30 a.m. we will hold our whole group general session with a welcome and overview of this year’s SEATA. I am pleased to announce our keynote speaker this year is Patti Wren, from Eastern Arizona College. Many of you know Patti because she is very involved with EAC and as well as our community, always doing good things for others.
Maps of our meeting places will be provided in your materials, but for the first day, please refer to these directions: From either Gila or Greenlee Counties: From Highway 70, turn south on Stadium Ave. in Thatcher. The Gherald Hoopes Activity Center is on the corner of Hwy. 70 and College Ave. Please do not park where it is marked “Staff Only.”
Sessions will begin promptly at 8:30 Tues. – Thurs. In previous communications, I let you know you are on your own for lunch. I am pleased to announce that due to the generosity of Freeport-McMoRan, you will be treated to lunch on either Monday or Tuesday! Please see the attached flyer for details. For your convenience, I am including some nearby lunch choices for the other days.
Dress comfortably, but please wear closed-toe shoes if you are scheduled for the mountain trip.
It will be a very busy week, full of exciting learning opportunities.
We’ll see you bright and early on June 3rd!
SEATA Planning Team
- Additional nearby restaurants include Kainoa’s Hawaiian Grill at 3533 W. Main (Highway 70) in Thatcher.
- Toni’s Kitchen is now located in Thatcher along Main Street (Hwy 70).
- Sonic Drive-in, Burger King, Carl’s Jr., Arby’s, McDonald’s and other fast-food restaurants are all located along Highway 70 just a mile or two east of EAC.
- There are several restaurants in Pima, including Taylor Freeze, Juanita’s, The Taco Shop and others.
- All Graham and Greenlee County educators are invited to attend SEATA at no cost.
- To meet the needs of our Pre-Kindergarten through 12th grade educators, we will have over 100 break-out sessions focusing on best practices across the curriculum.
- Attendees will earn up to 24 hours of professional development credit.
- SEATA is open to certified educators, early childhood education providers and pre-service educators who will be certified and contracted to teach by August 2019.
- Some of the confirmed session topics include: Math and Literacy for our Youngest Learners, Implementing Successful Problem Solving, Positioning Parents as Mathematics Educators, Go Paperless! EquatIO…, Early Childhood Everyday, ALiCE Training, Classroom Management, Web Tools, Creating Embedded Assessments, Faith Ringgold’s Story Quilts, Make Your Classroom a Place Students Want to Be!, Google Classroom = Unlimited Possibilities, A Resilient Teacher – You Can Bounce!, Personalize Learning in Google with Read&Write, SEE and WWH SETS: Make Student Writing Visible, Math Mysteries Revealed, Measuring Brain Torque, Building Fraction Sense, Get Your Teach On, Relationships to the Rescue!, Get them Moving – Total Participation Techniques, Rigor in Action, Science Grab Bag and dozens more!
- Everyone attending should complete this process. In mid-May, you will receive an email directing you to select the break-out sessions of your choice. Your schedule of sessions will be provided at SEATA check-in during the week of
Monday June 3, 2019 in the Gherald Hoopes Activity Center at Eastern Arizona College.
- Please preregister by March 29, 2019.
After this date, SEATA will be opened up to other counties. *Out of Graham and Greenlee County fees are $50 per day.
We will be offering sessions across the curriculum, including technology integration sessions for all subjects.
SEATA is brought to you by Graham County School Superintendent Donna McGaughey and Greenlee County School Superintendent Tom Powers with generous support from the United Way of Graham and Greenlee Counties.