Guide to Appealing a Civil Case


If you want to appeal a final order or judgment you received from a justice court or municipal court, you have the right to do so in the Superior Court. You may appeal a Judgment of Eviction (forcible / special detainer); an Injunction Prohibiting Harassment / Order of Protection (restraining order); or any other final order or judgment handed down by a justice court or municipal court. You cannot appeal a small claims court decision. This Guide is a summary of the steps you must take to appeal your civil case to the Superior Court. It does not cover criminal or traffic appeals. Separate guides discuss those types of appeals.


The information presented here is intended to guide you through the Superior Court civil appeals process. It is not legal advice and it may not be used as legal authority. It is an overview of the Arizona Superior Court Rules of Appellate Procedure. It does not replace or supersede the Rules. View how to appeal a civil case.