"O" Services

On-Site Wastewater Program

Environmental Staff issue permits and inspect the installation and repair of conventional on-site wastewater systems otherwise known as septic systems. The permit process includes the review of construction plans, a soil evaluation, interim and final construction inspections. Upon completion, a final record of the system is developed, forwarded to the property owner and maintained by the Health Department as a permanent record. Property owners who are unable to locate their existing systems or installation records for the purpose of repair, service or a real estate sale, may contact the Health Department for assistance in locating the record. Complaints with regard to the operation of septic systems, including failures are also investigated. Go to Graham County Environmental Health Services for more detailed information.

Open Burning

Property owners are required to obtain permits from the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ) for the purpose of conducting open burning. Copies of Open Burning permit applications and permit requirements are available from the Health Department., however the completed applications must be forwarded to ADEQ for approval. Open burning permits are typically issued for the purpose of weed abatement in rural areas of the County, but will not be issued for the burning of garbage or other prohibited materials. Also, permits may not be issued for properties less than one acre in size, or within subdivisions or the city limits of Safford, Pima or Thatcher (those towns or ADEQ are responsible for issuing burn permits within their jurisdiction). All open burning must be conducted no closer than fifty feet to the nearest structure, during the hours of the day that are allowed by state regulation, and water or other resources must be available to quickly extinguish the fire if necessary.


The following departments have one or more ordinances listed on their website: